Election Information/Informacion de Elecciones
May 06, 2017
Applications for a Place on the City of Leon Valley 2017 General Election Ballot have been filed by:
(Listed in the order received)
A General Election will be held on May 06, 2017, for the purpose of electing three City Council Members (Places 1, 3 and 5) for two year terms.
Below is a list of key dates:
- Candidate filing period is Wednesday, January 18, 2017 – Friday, February 17, 2017, (A completed application must be received by 5:00 p.m. on February 17, 2017.)
- Early voting by personal appearance is Monday, April 24, 2017 through Tuesday, May 2, 2017. The nearest polling location will be at the Leon Valley Conference Center.
- Election Day is Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
A registered voter may vote at any poll site within Bexar County during Early Voting but must vote at the specific poll site as determined by precinct number on Election Day. Check our City’s website for up to date information on where and when to vote.
April 6th is the last day for submitting a voter registration application in time to vote in the May 6th General Election or for requesting transfer of registration in time to vote in new precinct (not in the same county and territory). For more information or assistance with registration, please contact the City Secretary at (210) 684-1391 extension 216.
Elections – Candidate Qualifications for City Council
- MUST be a citizen of the United States.
- MUST be at least 18 years old.
- MUST be a qualified voter of the City of Leon Valley.
- MUST NOT have been determined mentally incapacitated by a final judgment of a court.
- MUST NOT have been finally convicted of a felony (unless pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities).
- MUST have lived in Texas continuously for one year.
- MUST have lived in Leon Valley continuously for at least one year
The Leon Valley City Code of Ordinances, Chapter 1 “General Provisions”, Article 1.03 “Elections” states “An election shall be held as provided in state law each even-numbered year to elect a mayor and two councilmembers at large for the City Council, to wit: Council Place No. 2 and Council Place No. 4. An election shall be held as provided in state law each odd-numbered year to elect three councilmembers at large for the city council, to wit: Council Place No. 1, Council Place No. 3, and Council Place 5.”
In 2017, registered voters, who are citizens of Leon Valley, will vote
for Council Place 1, Council Place No. 3, and Council Place No. 5.
Under Chapter 41 of the Texas Election Code, uniform election dates are specified. Except as otherwise provided, general or special elections in the State of Texas shall be held on either the first Saturday in May; or the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
The Office of the City Secretary is located at Leon Valley City Hall, 6400 El Verde Road, Leon Valley, Texas, 78238. Office Phone Number is: 210-684-1391, Ext. 216. Email is: email@example.com
Individuals interested in running for office in Leon Valley should contact the City Secretary to pick up a Candidate’s Packet. Candidates are able to file for a place on the May 6, 2017 General Election ballot beginning at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, January 18, 2017. All applications for a candidate’s name to appear on the May 6, 2017 General Election ballot must be filed with the office of the City Secretary before 5:00 p.m. of February 17, 2017. Write-in candidates may file to be a candidate in this election with the office of the City Secretary before 5:00 p.m. on February 17, 2017 Names of “write-in candidates” do not appear on the election ballot.
For more information, please contact the Office of the City Secretary at (210) 684-1391 extension 216 or the Bexar County Elections Department at (210) 335-VOTE (8683).
Candidate Packet Download Here
Important Election Links:
A Guide to Becoming a City Official Visit Bexar County Website