Election Information/Informacion de Elecciones
November 6, 2018 Special Election Information
An election is hereby ordered in the City of Leon Valley, Texas, on Tuesday, the 6th day of November, 2018, for the purpose of submitting to the voters a proposition relating to the continuation or dissolution of the Leon Valley Crime Control and Prevention District and the continuation of a local sales and use tax at a rate of one-eighth (1/8) of one percent (1%) pursuant to Chapter 363 of the Texas Local Government Code.
The Election shall be conducted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on November 6, 2018 which is a uniform election date as defined in the Texas Election Code, as amended (the “Code”).
The following proposition shall be submitted and shall be printed on the ballots to permit voters to vote “FOR” or “AGAINST” the proposition:
"The continuation of the Leon Valley Crime Control and Prevention District dedicated to crime reduction programs and the continuation of a proposed local sales and use tax at a rate of one-eighth of one percent."Resolution No. 18-018R
City of Leon Valley Charter § 3.03
The Mayor and each Council Member shall meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Be a qualified voter of the City and State at the time of taking office.
2. Have resided continuously in the corporate limits of the City for twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of the deadline for filing for office for the current election cycle.
3. Not be in violation of any provision in this Charter.
4. Satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office for which they are a candidate.
Election Code § 141.001 (a):
1. Be a United States citizen;
2. Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election;
3. Not have been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
a) Totally mentally incapacitated; or
b) Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
4. Not have been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
5. Have resided continuously in the State for 12 months and in the city or in the district or ward, as applicable for a place on the ballot (for a write-in candidate, preceding the date of the election);and
6. Be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected as of the date of the filing deadline for a candidate’s place on the ballot (for a write-in candidate, preceding the date of the election)
The Leon Valley City Code of Ordinances, Chapter 1 “General Provisions”, Article 1.03 “Elections” states “An election shall be held as provided in state law each even-numbered year to elect a mayor and two councilmembers at large for the City Council, to wit: Council Place No. 2 and Council Place No. 4. An election shall be held as provided in state law each odd-numbered year to elect three councilmembers at large for the city council, to wit: Council Place No. 1, Council Place No. 3, and Council Place 5.”
Under Chapter 41 of the Texas Election Code, uniform election dates are specified. Except as otherwise provided, general or special elections in the State of Texas shall be held on either the first Saturday in May; or the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
The Office of the City Secretary is located at Leon Valley City Hall, 6400 El Verde Road, Leon Valley, Texas, 78238. Office Phone Number is: 210-684-1391, Ext. 216. Email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individuals interested in running for office in Leon Valley should contact the City Secretary to pick up a Candidate’s Packet.
For more information, please contact the Office of the City Secretary at (210) 684-1391 extension 216 or the Bexar County Elections Department at (210) 335-VOTE (8683).
Important Election Links:
A Guide to Becoming a City Official Visit Bexar County Website