Planning & Zoning

Certificate of Occupancy

Commercial Certificate of Occupancy

All Commercial Businesses in the City of Leon Valley are required to apply for and obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O). 

When is a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) Required?

A Certificate of Occupancy Application should be submitted when any of the following occur:

  • Your business is locating to a new address within the City of Leon Valley
  • Your existing Leon Valley business is undergoing remodeling which will increase or decrease the square footage of the business address
  • The business name has changed
  • The business is sold to another person or entity
  • Management changes are made which would affect the points of contact previously listed for the business. Depending upon the circumstance, the application process and/or fee may be waived.

What Information is Required for the "C of O" Application?

  • Applicant Information (First and Last Name, Address, Phone Number, Email Address etc.)
  • Applicant’s Driver License, State ID or Military ID
  • Business Name
  • Business Address
  • Business Phone Number and/or Primary Contact Phone Number
  • Sales Tax Certificate
  • State License for the type of business-i.e., Cosmetologists, Electricians, Orthotists, Property Tax Consultants etc.
  • Type of Occupancy
  • Prior Building Usage (check with your property manager)
  • Square Footage
  • Number of Designated Parking Spaces
  • Landlord’s Information: Owner’s Name/Address/ Phone Number/ Email Address (Landlord’s Information NOT Business Owner’s Information)

Will There Be An Inspection Required Before My Business Opens?

Yes. A Building inspection, a Fire inspection and a Zoning inspection will be required before your business is allowed to open doors to the public. If the business or building is undergoing construction, the General Contractor must obtain all final construction inspections before requesting the Certificate of Occupancy inspection. All life, safety and fire inspections will be completed by the Fire Marshal. Depending on your type of business (i.e. Restaurant) a Health inspection will be required by our Health Inspector.

The responsible party filing the Certificate of Occupancy Application will be required to schedule the Fire Inspection at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance by calling 210-684-1391, extension 288 or 210-986-4594.

For any questions regarding the Certificate of Occupancy process or to schedule a Building or Zoning re-inspection, please call the Planning and Zoning Department at 210-684-1391, extension 226 or 227. Re-inspection fees must be paid prior to scheduling a re-inspection, the fee is $65.

How Long Does It Take To Get A Certificate of Occupancy?

This will depend on the results of the inspection and whether there are any code violations or life safety issues that need correcting prior to occupancy.

Am I Allowed To Occupy The Business Before I Obtain The Certificate of Occupancy?

It may be possible for the Building Official/Inspectors to authorize a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy on a case-by-case basis following the inspection process. For example: A Temporary C of O (30 days) may be authorized by the inspectors for the purpose of training new personnel, or correcting small repairs/corrections to the space.

Checklist For:

Other Helpful Links: